Thursday, May 26, 2011

KUNG FU PANDA 2 art - See the Movie!

 





  





The art department on Kung Fu Panda has been done for a few months and I miss it dearly. I was given great opportunities by art director Tang Heng and production designer Ramone Zibach to tackle many of the large design projects in the movie - the interiors of peacock's fortress, the fireworks factory, etc - as well as work on parts of the movie making process that I little experience in. My favorite memory was pitching ideas for the final battle. I had ideas for a harbor/water showdown inspired heavily by stylized action sequence in naruto and the movie hero. Tang always wanted things to be as pushed as possible and I dreamed up what I called the most expensive(and probably impossible) sequence ever. Surprisingly they went for a lot of my ideas and I'm glad to see them as part of the movie.

KFP2 opens today. Go see it. I'd love to be able to work on the next one. More KFP art coming next week.


18 comments:

Nate Villanueva said...

out of control! those set paintings are beautiful!!!

Isaac B said...

Awesome work Mike! :)

Lee Tao said...

These designs are stunning, been waiting for this movie!

Matías Hannecke said...

Phenomenal work! Can't wait to see the film!

Javi Recio said...

Amazing work man!! and congrats for that amazing movie also

Juriani Yo said...

saw your name in the credit!!!!! haha. The movie is awesome!!!!

Unknown said...

Excellent!

Unknown said...

Excellent!

Mike Nassar said...

just saw the movie tonight. Awesome work. You should be proud as hell. Thanks for sharing this design work!

Andrea Pucci said...

Marvellous works!

N.Hall said...

it was so beautiful!!! I want to see it again already :)

craig said...

Really nice work. Great job!

Gabriel Sonderegger said...

Really, it's awesome ! amazing paintings

Megan Nicole Dong said...

Gooooorgeous designs!!

Jerry Mascho said...

Wow, solid stuff! I got to see this a few weeks ago, I was wondering what you worked on...now I know it was some of the coolest stuff in the movie.

Emmanuel Briand said...

I'm becoming an humble fan of your work mike , I especially love the concepts with little animals with cars they are all so weel felt and the gaussian blur gives a good focus photo effect that's really good ;I hope it will come a real project I mean animated project . so , see you mike , good and awesome work cheers , sincerly Emmanuel Briand

Unknown said...

o my, incredible work!!!

James Crosby said...

Nice job man!